My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Friends have been urging me to read Diana Gabaldon’s ‘Outlander’ series for years. I’ve resisted, primarily because they seemed endlessly long at 800+ pages per volume. Finally, I succumbed. Suffice it to say that half way through the first book, the one entitled simply ‘Outlander’, I was sold. Before I even finished the first in the series, I had downloaded Kindle’s 8-Book Bundle.
It isn’t just the story that keeps me reading late into the night. It isn’t the liberal sprinklings of highly erotic sexual images—although I must say Gabaldon does those very well indeed. It isn’t the clearly well-researched history of Scotland in those tempestuous years leading to the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie at Culloden. No. It is the sheer beauty of Gabaldon’s prose. I have never read more gorgeous descriptions. In one place in the second book of this series, she spends two pages helping the reader to sense fall in a wood on a Scottish hillside. One can smell the leaves, feel the chill damp, hear the crackle of the fire. Diana Gabaldon is a past master at using the five senses in her writing. And yet these pages of scene setting never seem to slow down the plot.
Her plots are torturous in their complexity, yet she never loses the reader. At least not this reader. She weaves a cracking good story. What’s not to love about a book—or a series of books--like that?
View all my reviews
Following are my own published novels. Go to my Goodreads page, to find more details about my books, and many more reviews.
• Romantic Road ~ Takes you on a chase across Europe with our heroine who finds herself in a series of precarious situations. She encounters a handsome stranger, but is he helping her, or is he dangerous? This story has hair raising suspense, romance and a sprinkling of humour
• The Memory of Roses ~ The story of a secret and how it impacts two generations of the McQuaid family. It unfolds on the beautiful Greek Island of Corfu and is a tale complete with beautiful and passionate women, handsome and fiery men, and an intriguing mystery.
• Delighting In Your Company ~ Delighting In Your Company is a paranormal romance set on an exotic Caribbean island, featuring a handsome ghost and an adventurous heroine who travels back in time to solve a mystery!
"Delighting In Your Company is a unique paranormal romance that brings together island folklore, history, and mystery with an unlikely romance between the past and present that had me going through a torrent of emotions and made it impossible to put down." -- The Romance Reviews
• Sonata ~ Sayuri McAllister has just arrived home to Vancouver to find that a robbery has taken place at her family home, and it is being investigated by her old flame. She also has a new stepmother with a charming brother who is intent on bedding and wedding the rich and beautiful Sayuri. It’s a confusing and difficult time for Sayuri, especially when dangerous accidents happen to her father and herself – or are they accidents?
• Abigail's Christmas (short story) ~ An enchanting tale of love and romance, with a magical touch of fantasy.
"Abigail’s Christmas is a sweet and special story that honors both love and the holidays." -- Sizzling Hot Books